Saturday, April 2nd, 2o11
The Vancouver Island-style Mediterranean Diet
This class looks at rustic and healthy food from around the rim of the Mediterranean ocean transplanted to Vancouver Island using local and sustainable ingredients. In our exploration of local foods we will incorporated the healthy benefits of fresh ingredients matched with some traditional products like olives, olive oils and citrus.
This will be a fun day of exploring new recipes, reconstructing some old favorites – and arming you will a bounty of new ideas to spice up your meals and tap into the benefits of Mediterranean-style foods.
- Olives and Olive oil primer
- Creative ways to lessen our intake of red meat (and not miss it!)
- Red wine and your health
- Herbs and spices
- Healthy Seafood: Steamed local fish with chilies, capers, lemon and herbs
- Stinging Nettle Polenta: made from scratch – including grinding our own cornmeal
- Leek and Wild Mushroom Sauce: Vegetable sauces for polenta and pasta
- Olive Oil cake with maple poached citrus fruit
This is a hands on cooking class that includes demonstration, cooking and tasting portions.
Note: Vegetarian version of recipes available if requested in advance
$100/person (plus Tax)