Saturday, February 22
12 noon – 4:00 pm
Winter is the prime time for shellfish from the island. Cold waters, lots of nutrients and the cleanest, plumpest shellfish of the year. We have lots of great shellfish here on the island and this class explores the sources of shellfish on the island, the care and handling of these delicious products and ways to create tasty and simple dishes.
1) Sources, care and handling of shellfish
2) Recipes and Techniques
– Shucking oysters 101 – and a sampling of island oysters
– creating sauces for oysters
– pan-fried beach oysters with avocado salsa
– honey mussels with miso, ginger and green onion
– pan-seared island scallops with bacon and corn sauce
– manilla clams with tomato, rosemary and roasted garlic
Classes include all materials, recipes and a tasting of the products
Cost: $100 / person (plus tax)
These are hands-on class that includes cooking demo, recipes and tasting portions.
These classes are opportunities to expand your culinary horizons cooking with the finest local ingredients and working at the side of an accomplished chef and culinary instructor. Classes include a valuable primer on the topic and recipes to follow along in class and back home. Suitable for all levels of cooking skill but a prime opportunity for those looking to develop their skills and to ignite their creativity. Bill is the author of 12 cookbooks including The Deerholme Mushroom Foraging Book and a recognized regional expert on foraging and wild foods.