Photo by: Chris Pouget (www.christopherpouget.com)
Forest + Farm to Table Dinners and Classes
Check out our latest newsletter here, sign up on the right side of the page.
Upcoming Summer and Fall 2015:
- Thrill of The Grill Dinner – July 18th – A global look at the art of cooking with fire and smoke. Dishes influenced by Europe, South America and the American south.
- French Country Fete Dinner – August 15th – A culinary tour of the French countryside using Vancouver Island products, featuring treats from the gardens, oceans and fields.
- Duck and Mushroom Feast – September 26th – the launch of the mushroom season will focus on the heavenly match of local duck and wild mushrooms. Bring out the Pinot Noir!
- Spanish Fungi Dinner – October 17th – One of the most dynamic cuisines on the planet. Our Spanish dinner with showcase local porcini and wild mushrooms in all their glory.
- Southeast Asia Dinner – November 21st – Timed with the peak of the pine mushroom season, this dinner will be an explosion of flavour and textures.
- Deerholme Christmas Truffle Dinner – December 12th – French, Italian and local truffles with the ultimate in local food pairings.
We have events planned for each month of the year. Please contact us for more info. We also do many private events – cooking classes, workshops, dinners and catering. Contact us below for more details.
Deerholme Farm has delighted food lovers for the past 10 years. In that time we’ve created original dishes for local food dinners, cooking classes and many regional events. We feature local food from the Cowichan Valley and offer Farm-to-Table cuisine.
Our dishes are created specifically for each event and are based on seasonal products and a global style of food; often blending European and Asian techniques. We post new events throughout the year. Click on an event above for more details (as available). Sign up for our newsletter to get updates delivered to your inbox.
- Local Seasonal Food Events (mushrooms, French country cooking, etc)
- Hands-on Cooking Classes
- Wild Food Forages in the spring and fall (mushrooms)
- Offsite Catering for selected events
- Food and Wine Consulting and Advice
- Food Writing and Photography
Bill Jones is the owner / chef who has an amazing array of experiences behind him. Bill has cooked in Michelin-starred restaurants in France and England. Locally he is a renowned expert on the foods of the Pacific Northwest. His specialty is wild foods from the forest, fields and oceans. Many people have visited the farm and our goal is to leave them with knowledge, good nourishment and a little happiness.
Bill has assisted many businesses and non-profit initiatives that promote the region and encourage sustainability for the community, ecosystems and our economic well being.
Jones is also the author of 12 books. Bill’s newest book is a continuation of the Deerholme Cookbook series and takes a Pacific Northwest look at the world of vegetables. The book will be published in the fall of 2015 by TouchWood Editions (Victoria, BC). In the spring of 2013, Bill published The Deerholme Mushroom Book (TouchWood Editions). This book is filled with great recipes, tips and information on wild and cultivated mushrooms. In April of 2014, Bill published a companion volume The Deerholme Foraging Book (Touchwood Editions). This book focuses on the world of wild foods and wildcrafting with recipes based on mushrooms, plants, sea vegetables and shellfish. His previous book Chefs Salads (Whitecap Books) and The Salmon Book (Whitecap Books) both won world cookbook awards. His books Chefs in the Market – the Granville Island Cookbook and three other books have been shortlisted for the Canadian Food Writing Awards.
Magnetic North Cuisine is Bill’s consulting side. Over the past 19 years, projects have include sustainable business development, community economic development and local food business start-up. We help create and bring products to the market place and have experience in remote locations and with difficult logistics. We also create and manage events including the Cowichan Bay Spot Prawn Festival; helped start Feast of Fields and helped organize and coordinate the 2010 Canadian Chefs Congress at Providence Farm.
Our dinners, in particular, have been profiled in outstanding publications such as Gourmet Magazine, Saveur, Harrowsmith, Travel & Leisure and featured in many other prominent media outlets.
“… Jones is passionate about the island and seems to know his environment’s every plant, history and anecdote. His enthusiasm and erudition are obvious in the cooking at Deerholme Farm. A recent meal, for example was an interpretation of a potlatch, the traditional feast of the indigenous peoples. … Full of flavours, it was a surprising meal, but then, this area is full of surprises.” Gourmet Magazine
” There’s no doubt that this is one of the best entries into the burgeoning Cowichan Valley food community – a chance to taste the finest local food in the land, along with some fascinating company. It’s a magical little place – and it’s not just the mushrooms.” The Globe and Mail
“… if Bill Jones is hosting one of his monthly themed dinners, book ahead at Deerholme Farm. Jones, a supremely talented chef, is also a passionate forager, and wild mushrooms are often the highlight of his tasting menus, served in his cozy farmhouse. Working with a single sous-chef, Jones puts a French and Asian spin on farm-to-table cooking: a recent meal included a Chinese-style duck with hoisin sauce made from Deerholme’s own squash, and a hen-and-egg dumpling soup infused with fresh ginseng and wasabi from the garden.” Travel and Leisure
Events are on selected Saturdays through the year.
We are open by appointment only
Fill out the form below to contact us: