Photo by: Chris Pouget (www.christopherpouget.com)
Forest + Farm to Table Dinners and Classes
Check out our latest newsletter here, sign up on the right side of the page.
We are open by appointment only to the select events listed below. Drop us a contact (bottom of the page) and we will be happy to answer any questions. We are also available for booking private events (depending on openings!).
Upcoming Late Summer and Fall 2016:
- Surf and Turf Dinner – August 20th – local seafood (salmon, crab and octopus, etc) and amazing vegetables (heirloom tomatoes, local garlic, etc). Sold Out
- Parisian (France) Mushroom Dinner – Saturday, September 10th
- Wild Mushroom Foraging, Saturday, September 24th
- Wild Mushroom Foraging, Saturday, October 1st Sold Out
- Wild Mushroom Foraging, Saturday, October 8th
- Cooking Class: Wild Mushroom Cooking – Sunday, October 9th
- Milanese (Northern Italy) Mushroom Dinner – Saturday, October 15th
- Moscow (Russian) Mushroom Dinner – Saturday, November 12th.
- Cooking Class: Pork Sausage Making – Saturday, November 19th
- Cooking Class: Terrines and Pates – Saturday, December 3rd
* Private dinners are available for a minimum of 10 people
We have events planned for each month of the year. We also do many private events – cooking classes, workshops, dinners and catering. Contact us below for more details.
Deerholme Farm has delighted food lovers for the past 10 years. In that time we’ve created original dishes for local food dinners, cooking classes and many regional events. We feature local food from the Cowichan Valley and offer Farm-to-Table cuisine. New events are posted throughout the year. Click on an event above for more details (as available). Sign up for our newsletter to get updates delivered to your inbox.
- Local Seasonal Food Events (mushrooms, French country cooking, etc)
- Hands-on Cooking Classes
- Wild Food Forages in the spring and fall (mushrooms)
- Offsite Catering for selected events
- Food and Wine Consulting and Advice
- Food Writing and Photography
Bill Jones is the owner / chef who has an amazing array of experiences behind him. Bill has cooked in Michelin-starred restaurants in France and England. He is also a renowned author and expert on the foods of the Pacific Northwest. Bill’s unique specialty is wild foods from the forest, fields and oceans. Many people have visited the farm and our goal is to leave them with knowledge, good nourishment and a little happiness.
Magnetic North Cuisine is Bill’s consulting side. Over the past 19 years, projects have include sustainable business development, community economic development and local food business start-up.
“Chef, cookbook author (this year’s Deerholme Vegetable Cookbook being the most recent of his 12 titles), and longtime Vancouver magazine Restaurant Awards judge Bill Jones was a pioneer when he opened the agrarian mecca that is Deerholme Farm over a decade ago. Now, he’s a local legend. If one of his famous themed farm-to-table dinners is on, drop everything and go—it’s likely to be the best meal in the province that night. Local food with foraged wild fare and global technique make for revelatory plates like Chanterelle and prawn toast with hazelnut sate sauce.” Vancouver Magazine
“… Jones is passionate about the island and seems to know his environment’s every plant, history and anecdote. His enthusiasm and erudition are obvious in the cooking at Deerholme Farm. A recent meal, for example was an interpretation of a potlatch, the traditional feast of the indigenous peoples. … Full of flavours, it was a surprising meal, but then, this area is full of surprises.” Gourmet Magazine
” There’s no doubt that this is one of the best entries into the burgeoning Cowichan Valley food community – a chance to taste the finest local food in the land, along with some fascinating company. It’s a magical little place – and it’s not just the mushrooms.” The Globe and Mail
“… if Bill Jones is hosting one of his monthly themed dinners, book ahead at Deerholme Farm. Jones, a supremely talented chef, is also a passionate forager, and wild mushrooms are often the highlight of his tasting menus, served in his cozy farmhouse. Working with a single sous-chef, Jones puts a French and Asian spin on farm-to-table cooking: a recent meal included a Chinese-style duck with hoisin sauce made from Deerholme’s own squash, and a hen-and-egg dumpling soup infused with fresh ginseng and wasabi from the garden.” Travel and Leisure
Events are on selected Saturdays through the year.
We are open by appointment only
Fill out the form below to contact us: